Thursday, April 19, 2012

IRL

I woke up, it was 9:00. Still tired from the summer nights, I reached for my phone as I received a phone call from my Then-Girlfriend. We had recently moved apart following the school year, so we arranged to speak at times convenient for one another. However the glaring issue is that, there is no time that is truly "convenient" for one another. In an age where we continually add tasks to the status quo in order to occupy ourselves, we no longer have a "convenient" time in which we are able to pause and enjoy our lives. This hour I spoke with my girlfriend at the time, was an hour out of my sleep, a time I was more than willing to sacrifice, however as time wore on, it became harder to communicate with one another. This notion required the two of us to pause our lives for a brief period of our days, and once our conversation had ended, we were to resume "normal" daily activities. Our relationship had no longer remained in our physical spheres, but in an entirely different sphere altogether.

With advances in video technology, people are able to converse and view one another through this medium, however they still will not exist within the same realm of life as the user. Regardless of amount of hours spent speaking, viewing, and listening to one another, there is no amount of technology in which we are able to share our physical experiences. As long as this gap exists, the physical presence is an irreplaceable relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment